The Media Relations Manager is a virtual volunteer role for Guardian Angels for Soldier’s Pet© and the primary point of contact between the organization and the media (print, online, radio and broadcast). The position is responsible for getting the organization into the media. As a part of the National Marketing/Communications Team, this position assists in planning, developing and implementing media efforts to effectively convey the organization’s brand, key messages, success stories and major milestones to internal and external stakeholders.
This role reports to the National Marketing & Communications Director.
- Complete understanding of the organization and mission.
- Media Outreach
- Research media contacts that would be interested in the organization’s mission and purpose.
- Writes, prepares, reviews, and edits press releases, articles for the organization.
- Pitch story ideas to the National Media outlets.
- Establishes and maintains positive relationships with representatives of media on behalf of the organization.
- Interview Coordination
- Identifies and assesses various media inquiries for the organization.
- Coordinate interview logistics for media interviews including making sure all OPSEC and PERSEC guidelines are followed.
- Developing Talking Points for organization representatives as needed.
- Handles individual State media interviews if no COL is in the state.
- Media Monitoring
- Monitors media coverage of organization and industry
- Media Administration
- Shares media hits with internal stakeholders (volunteers)
- Posts media hits on website
- Creates and maintains a repository of organization’s media hits.
- Understand, follow, and adhere to the Organization’s mission, purpose, operating procedures, and organizational policies and guidelines.
- Responsible to check official email account on a daily basis.
- Communicates potential stories with CEO and Marketing/Communications Director.
- Prepares and submits the monthly “Volunteer Service Hours Report” to the National Office
- A passion to help our military service members, veterans, and their beloved pets plus work with other people who share this passion
- Professional, organized, reliable, able to work with a diverse group of people, and able to work both independently and as part of a team.
- Comfortable using and access to MS office (such as Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Publisher), communicate via the internet, phone calls, and email.
- Media Relations/Public Relations background OR military public affairs background preferred.
- Able to commit at least 1 year in this position
Estimated Volunteer Time per Month:
- Average of 25-30 hours
Back to the Volunteer Page.
Updated: 20 May 2017