We thank you for your volunteer spirit and your desire to support our military, veterans and their beloved pets by registering to be a part of our Foster Home network in all 50 states. Our foster home program would not be possible without people like you who register as part of our network of potential foster homes.
As a part of our Foster Home network, you freely and willingly offer to foster a Military Service Member’s or Veteran’s pet(s) in your home. You do so with no right to, nor expectation of, any payment or compensation of any kind for the act of providing a safe, caring, long-term temporary home for the pet you have been matched with.
Applicants will be assessed for the needs of Guardian Angels for Soldier’s Pet and receipt of a completed application will be regarded as an expression of interest, not a commitment or acceptance to serve as a foster home caregiver.
Upon receipt of an application, your application is forwarded to the appropriate Foster Coordination Liaison (FCL) who will review and contact you to discuss your interest. The timing for a response about pet placement depends on your state and the level of activity in your state at the time your application is submitted.
Any personal information provided to our organization is not shared outside of Guardian Angels For Soldier’s Pet or sold to third parties for any reason, and is considered confidential information, and only shared with those within the organization who have a need to know, or as required by law as we follow the OPSEC (Operation Security) military guidelines, military/DOD “confidentiality policies”, the VA (Veteran Affairs) “confidentiality policies” and “HIPPA” regulations in regards to confidentiality and sharing of information.
At the time either prior to or at time a specific pet or pets are to be placed in one of our registered Foster Homes, an actual “Fostering Written Agreement” (FWA) will be prepared and signed by both parties (legal military or veteran pet owner AND the foster home to care for the pet or pets). Each party is to keep a prepared/signed copy and the foster home is to send a signed copy of the FWA to our National office either by Fax or as an attachment (PDF file) to an email. Note: This document has been prepared for the protection of all parties involved, including but not limited to: the foster home, legal military/veteran pet owner, and Guardian Angels for Soldier’s Pet.
A special thanks to the Millan Foundation for a great Tip Sheet for Foster Homes! You can download it here.
- A pure love of animals and a clear understanding of what is required to care for them.
- An intrinsic need to help in some way, support our military, and fulfill your own passion for animals.
- An understanding that the pet you love and care for will be reunited with its owner following a deployment or unforeseen medical or homeless hardship.
- The ability to honor the owner’s wishes regarding the routine of the pet.
- All family members residing in your home are united in providing this truly unselfish and voluntary act of supporting our heroes.
Foster Term Lengths:
- Foster terms average 2 months to 13 months depending on a specific case.
Potential Foster Home Submission
To enroll as a registered Foster Home with Guardian Angels for Soldier’s Pet, we ask that you complete this initial submission form to gauge your interest and level of comfort caring for a soldier’s pet.
Before filling out the foster home application, please consider the following statements in regards to this volunteer role.
- This is a volunteer role through Guardian Angels for Soldier’s Pet and I may neither request nor accept a stipend/payment from a military pet owner for opening my home to his/her pet.
- I may accept funds from the military pet owner associated with the pet-related costs such as food, treats, grooming unless I choose to cover these expenses myself.
- Although Guardian Angels for Soldier’s Pet takes reasonable care to screen pets for foster care placement, it makes no guarantees or predictions relating to an individual animal’s health, behavior, or actions upon placement in the foster home. All pet information is the responsibility of the military pet owner and is provided to the foster home as submitted by the pet owner to Guardian Angels for Soldier’s Pet.
- I receive specific pet or pets at my own discretion and can decline to accept any pet for which Guardian Angels for Soldier’s Pet and the military pet owner has asked me to care for.
- Guardian Angels for Soldier’s Pet is not responsible for any property damage or personal injury suffered by me, members of my household (including my own animals, or any third parties during a foster placement), and I assume liability to provide adequate care to prevent such damage or injury.
Submission will be forwarded to the appropriate state “Foster Coordination Liaison” volunteer who will contact you as quickly as they can to review and answer questions.
Note: All fields must be answered for the application to be accepted by Guardian Angels for Soldier’s Pet©. Receipt of a completed information document will be regarded as an expression of interest, not a commitment or acceptance to serve as a foster home.