The Communications Manager is a virtual volunteer role for Guardian Angels for Soldier’s Pet responsible for the design, content, execution and distribution of all of the organization’s electronic communications platforms. As a part of the National Marketing/Communications Team, this position assists in providing a consistent message and brand of the organization to the general public.
This role reports to the National Marketing & Communications Director.
- Responsible for all aspects of the organization’s quarterly newsletter. Content development, design, production, distribution, and maintenance.
- Oversee newsletter deadlines: works a minimum of 45 days prior to distribution (e.g. November newsletter – work begins beginning of October)
- Familiarity with newsletter production in Word or Adobe Illustrator.
- Content development from organization volunteers via outreach and follow-up
- Development of calendar of future newsletters
- Familiarity with newsletter distribution via Vertical Response
- Email Blasts
- Development of calendar of organization newsletter blasts
- Develop content for blasts
- Execution via Vertical Response
- Other Communications
- Provides suggestions on new electronic communications to keep the organization moving forward.
- Database Content Management System
- Maintain database of contacts via Vertical Response
- Clean up “Vertical Response” database prior to next newsletter distribution
- Familiarize oneself with technology updates and new features
- Responsible to check official email account on a daily basis.
- Prepares and submits the monthly “Volunteer Service Hours” report to the National office
- Provide updates to Marketing/Communications Director and CEO on a monthly basis.
- A passion to help our military service members, veterans, and their beloved pets plus work with other people who share this passion
- Professional writing and editing experience very helpful.
- Understand, follow, and adhere to the Organization’s mission, purpose, operating procedures, and organizational policies and guidelines.
- Professional, organized, reliable, able to work with a diverse group of people, and able to work both independently and as part of a team.
- Comfortable using and access to MS office pro (such as Word, Excel, PowerPoint), communicate via the internet, phone calls, and email.
- Comfortable promoting the organization and mission with family, friends, co-workers, and other military/veteran organizations
- Communications or newsletter development background preferred.
- Able to commit at least 1 year in this position
Estimated Volunteer Time per Month:
- Average of 20-30 hours
Back to the Volunteer Page.
Updated: 20 May 2017