The volunteer “MVP Sanctuary Program/Project Director overseeing the coordination and administration of all aspects of an ongoing program including planning, organizing, staffing, leading, and controlling program activities.
Reports directly to the National CEO and interacts with the Event and Fundraising Committees.
The Program/Project Director performs a wide range of duties including some or all of the following:
Plan the MVPS Projects
- Plan the delivery of the overall program and its activities in accordance with the mission and the goals of the organization
- Develop new initiatives to support the strategic direction of the organization
- Develop and implement long-term goals and objectives to achieve the successful outcome of the program
- Develop an annual budget and operating plan to support the program
- Develop a program evaluation framework to assess the strengths of the program and to identify areas for improvement
- Develop funding proposals for the program to ensure the continuous delivery of services
Organize the MVPS Projects
- Ensure that program activities operate within the policies and procedures of the organization
- Ensure that program activities comply with all relevant legislation and professional standards
- Develop forms and records to document program activities
Staff the program
- In consultation with the Executive Director, recruit, interview and select well-qualified volunteer staff
- Adhere to the human resources policies, procedures, and practices of the organization
- Ensure that volunteer personnel files are properly maintained and kept confidential
- Establish and implement a performance management process for all volunteer program staff
- Ensure that all volunteer program staff receive an appropriate orientation to the organization and the programs
Lead the Program
- Ensure all volunteer staff members receive orientation and appropriate training in accordance with organizational standards
- Supervise volunteer program staff by providing direction, input, and feedback
- Communicate with clients and other stakeholders to gain community support for the program and to solicit input to improve the program
- Work with the NCEO to ensure the effective and efficient program delivery
- Coordinate the delivery of services among different program activities to increase effectiveness and efficiency
Administer the Program
- Write reports on the program for management and for funders
- Communicate with funders as outlined in funding agreements
- Ensure the program operates in the approved budget
- Monitor and approve all budgeted program expenditures
- Manage all project funds according to established accounting policies and procedures
- Ensure that all financial records for the program are up to date
- Ensure financial reports and supporting documentation for funders are prepared as outlined in funding agreements
- Provide required information to have invoices generated and submitted to funders according to the established timelines
- Identify and evaluate the risks associated with program activities and take appropriate action to control the risks
- Monitor the program activities on a regular basis and conduct an annual evaluation according to the program evaluation framework
- Report evaluation findings to the Executive Director and recommend changes to enhance the program, as appropriate
- Prepares and submits a quarterly Activity Report to the National office by the 15th of the month following the reporting month – Example: Report covers 1st Qtr. 2017, submitted by April 15, 2017
- A passion to help our military service members, veterans, and their beloved pets plus work with other people who share this passion
- Professional, organized, reliable, able to work with a diverse group of people, and able to work both independently and as part of a team.
- Understand, follow, and adhere to the Organization’s mission, purpose, operating procedures, and organizational policies and guidelines.
- Previous public speaking experience helpful.
- Comfortable using and access to MS office (such as Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Publisher) or Open Office, and communicating via the internet, phone calls, and email.
- Able to commit at least 1 year in this position
- Average hours per month: “On-site” monthly meeting (Chairperson: 2-3 hours)/ Entire Committee Off-Site – average 20 –25 hours per month
Back to the Volunteer Page.
Updated: 20 May 2017